Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What to Wear Postpartum



Polka Dot Tie Top: The Limited $49.90
Navy Peasant Top: The Limited $49.95

Teal Blouse: Old Navy $29.94
Faux Leather Shoulder Blouse: The Limited $49.90


White Peasant Top: Old Navy $29.94

Dark Stretch Denim: The Limited $74.90



By request, I am offering up some ideas as to what a woman can wear after she's just had a baby, or is a few weeks, months, and even years out. My sister (who looks fabulous, by the way) asked me to blog about postpartum fashion, so here are some items I felt were good to have for those mama's who have just given birth and are not quite back to their old selves yet. And just as a side note, it takes time to get back to what you once were. I am not ashamed to say it took me an entire year and some change to get back to where I feel comfortable. Don't stress! There are ways to dress your new body (or body for the time being) that are still cute, fun and classy, allowing you to focus on what's really important: your new baby! So here's what I wore out and to work for at least 3-4 months while I got back to feeling a bit more comfortable in my skin. (In case you're wondering, I went back to work 8 weeks after giving birth and was up one size in both tops and pants. I feel like the items listed below were very flatterning early on, and even now, 14 months postpartum.)

 

The Tops: I tried on several tops while shopping for some back-to-work clothes. I found the looser the better, but really, I was loving tops that had an elastic bottom and sort of bloused out a bit to hide that postpartum pooch. They are also avaliable in just about every store imaginable, so it's easy to find a few in any price range. I bought a few from The Limited on clearance, and some from Old Navy and Target. You may have to go up a size, but that won't matter because the style will be flattering-I promise! What I love about the elastic waist, and even those waist bands that don't stretch, it that the extra band creates a waist that takes the eye away from the belly; most women's most dreaded body part postpartum. I lived in shirts like this when I went out and even wore them to work on a regular basis. Additionally, any kind of lose peasant top that you can put a cami under (such as the white or teal one from Old Navy) is a great way to mask a postpartum pooch as well. Add a chunky neclace or a scarf to accesorize and you will be good to go.

The Pants: As far as work pants/slacks go, I really just went up a size and purchased three new pairs in brown, black and grey. I just stuck to the staple colors that I knew would work with most tops, new or old, that I had in my closet. Jean-wise, I tended to lean more towards a skinny jean with lots of stretch! I am taller (5'8) and my legs didn't look so bad in a skinny jean, so I purchased a new pair from The Limited and wore them ALL THE TIME. I still love them, but at this point they're a little too big. They have so much give though, so I highly recommed finding a pair of strech jeans, skinny or just a regular fit, that you splurge a little on (price-wise) to get that quality and comfort. And the darker, the better! A dark wash and even a black pair of skinnys or jeggings are a great postpartum investment.

(Work pants mentioned above were purchased at The Limited in the Drew fit and Exact Stretch.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© It's What I Love

CoffeeShop Designs